Learn How to Restore Headlights Using Toothpaste
Whether you need to remove some scratches or repair rust on your car, the CarHop team is always here to lend a helping hand via easy, effective step-by-step guides. Today, we’re discussing how to restore headlights using toothpaste. Learn why headlight restoration is necessary and how you should go about doing it.
Why is DIY Headlight Restoration Necessary?
Vehicle headlights used to be made of glass, but automakers switched to polycarbonate or plastic in the 1980s. The only problem is that those headlights can become cloudy over time.
This isn’t a result of poor maintenance – instead, it’s a simple process called oxidation that occurs due to UV light, road debris, atmospheric chemicals, and other common culprits. Fortunately, it’s an easy thing to put right, and you can do it yourself using little more than toothpaste!
Use This Headlight Restoration Home Remedy
Just as toothpaste can remove unwanted plaque, bacteria, and staining compounds from your teeth, it can also remove stains from your headlights thanks to the mild abrasives it contains. To get your headlights sorted, simply gather the following items:
- Car wax
- Masking tape
- Plastic or vinyl gloves
- Microfiber cloth
Then, follow these easy steps:
- Use firm back-and-forth motions with a soapy cloth, then rinse with plain water. Allow some time to dry before continuing.
- Protect the area surrounding your headlights from accidental scuffs with some masking tape.
- Put on your gloves to protect your skin, then damp a clean cloth and add a dab of toothpaste.
- Use the cloth to firmly rub the surface of your headlights. Move in small circles, adding more water and toothpaste as needed. It should take about five minutes for each light.
- Rinse with plain water, and allow the headlights plenty of time to dry.
- Apply wax to protect your headlights from damage in the future. This isn’t essential, but it’s well worth your time.
Why Buy a Headlight Restoration Kit When You Have DIY Car Tips from CarHop?
With locations all over the country, the CarHop team offers more than just used cars to our customers – we’re here to share handy DIY car tips as well, such as how to remove rust with Coca-Cola! Our team is happy to help with windshield chip repair or any other important maintenance tasks. For any further automotive advice or assistance, simply contact us today.