How to Change a Tire
Knowing how to change a flat tire is critical in order to avoid getting stranded on the side of the road. Still, there are other reasons for changing a tire, where you’re performing a tire rotation or trying to get access to your brakes. Whether you need to learn how to change a tire, or you’re looking for other DIY car tips like how to change windshield wipers and how to change your oil, the team of experts at CarHop can help!
Before you get started on changing your tire, you need to first make sure you have the following tools handy:
- Spare tire (if you’re dealing with a flat and not just rotating tires or accessing the brakes)
- Lug wrench
- Wheel wedges
- Work gloves
- Tire repair kit (if you’re attempting to fix your flat tire)
- Flare/reflective triangles (if you’re changing the tire on the side of the road or in a parking lot)
Steps for Changing a Tire
Now that you have all the essentials, it’s time to change your tire. It may seem like a big task, but all you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Make sure you’re in a safe location and that your flares/reflective triangles are out if you’re parked near the road.
- Secure the vehicle for safety by putting the wheel wedges against the tires on the other side of the one you’re changing.
- Take off the hubcap.
- Loosen the lug nuts with the lug wrench.
- Place the jack under the car
- Engage the jack until the tire you’re changing is about half a foot off the ground.
- Unscrew the lug nuts the rest of the way and remove them.
- Take the tire off the hub.
- Align the replacement tire with the open lug bolts.
- Tighten the lug nuts by hand.
- Put the jack down until the replacement tire is on the ground.
- Tighten the lug nuts the rest of the way with the lug wrench.
- Put the hubcap back on.
- Make sure your replacement tire is adequately inflated.
Changing a Flat Tire is Simple With CarHop in Your Corner
Let CarHop be your source for DIY auto maintenance tips, including how to fix a check engine light, or how to change automatic transmission fluid and filter. You can also visit any of our locations today to check out our impressive selection of pre-owned vehicles for sale. Contact us with any questions or to set up a test drive today!
More Car Maintenance How-To’s from CarHop
Driving in hot weather can be almost as miserable as driving through snow or ice. Fortunately, there are plenty of great tips on how to keep your car cool — most of which are easy and affordable. From grabbing that shady parking space to investing in cooled seats, there are a lot of different ways to…
You’ve probably heard the old urban myth that Coca-Cola is so acidic it can remove rust from a car bumper. Like alligators in city sewers or fabricated words in the dictionary, this Coca-Cola myth is true! In addition to enjoying an ice-cold Coca-Cola on a warm day, you can use it to remove rust, especially…
Even if you’ve never had a problem with your vehicle, knowing how to jump start a car can save you time and money if the need ever arises! Relying on a jump start car service can be costly, and if you already have a pair of jumper cables on your person, the process itself only…