How to Repair a Cracked Windshield with Clear Nail Polish
Repairing a chipped windshield requires a pedestal, resin, and syringe kit, but if you’re wondering how to repair a cracked windshield — it’s much easier than you might think! Clear nail polish, which can be purchased from virtually any drug store or department store, can be used to temporarily fill small cracks in your windshield. If you’re dealing with a large crack, however, you’ll want to visit a professional for expert repair or a windshield replacement. Small cracks, though, are fair game and can be filled in and sealed easily.
DIY Windshield Crack Repair
Using clear nail polish to repair your used car’s cracked windshield can be done in just a few steps:
- First, gather the materials you’ll need: dish soap, warm water, a microfiber cloth, and, of course, clear nail polish.
- Next, use the warm water, dish soap, and microfiber cloth to clean the crack and the area around it.
- Let the area dry for a few minutes.
- Take the clear nail polish, apply a thin layer over the damaged area, and then let it dry.
- You can a second layer later to ensure the crack is properly sealed.
Again, this isn’t recommended for large cracks, as your windshield should always be in accordance with your state’s laws. But knowing this DIY windshield crack repair hack can save you an expensive trip to the glass shop.
Can a Cracked Windshield Be Repaired Another Way?
Yes, it can! In addition to clear nail polish, there are other easy DIY windshield repair hacks to keep in your back pocket for later:
- Super Glue: Follow the steps listed above, but replace the clear nail polish with super glue.
- Tape: When your windshield becomes cracked, dirt and moisture become serious threats. You can use duct tape to cover the crack, so long as the crack isn’t in your line of sight.
Also worth keeping in mind is, when possible, it’s a good idea to park your car under a tree, in a garage, or anywhere where there’s shelter. Sun, rain, and other elements can cause a small crack to worsen quickly.
Get More Ingenious Car Care Tips from CarHop!
CarHop is your source for quick and easy DIY yourself car care tips, whether you’re wondering how to repair a cracked windshield or how to remove scratches from your car. Have you patched up your current ride quite enough and are looking for a new-to-you vehicle that’s in much better shape? Visit your local CarHop, and browse our used inventory to find the right car for you at a competitive price.
Related Posts from CarHop
Need to make your used car really shine on short notice? Maybe you’re attending an event or having guests and want your car to look its best? If you don’t have time to properly hand wax a car, never fear. Instead of wax, use hair conditioner! It’s easy, affordable, and it works. For extra sparkle,…
Repairing a chipped windshield requires a pedestal, resin, and syringe kit, but if you’re wondering how to repair a cracked windshield — it’s much easier than you might think! Clear nail polish, which can be purchased from virtually any drug store or department store, can be used to temporarily fill small cracks in your windshield….
You don’t need to purchase expensive equipment to keep your used car‘s air vents clean. Air vent cleaning can be done with tools you can either find around your house or purchase for cheap at the local dollar store or craft store. For example, you can use a soft foam paintbrush to gently remove dust,…